Prep: 0 min | Cook: 15 min | Serves 5 (1 cup servings)| Level: Easy
Print this recipe
Looking for a good mac and cheese recipe? This one is smooth and creamy. And did I mention that it substitutes saturated fats for healthy fats. Perfect for anyone watching their diet, but in serious need of mac and cheese. It’s also super easy. Give it a shot.
½ pound of whole grain macaroni
1 cup of 1% milk
2 tbs of flour
2 tbs of vegetable oil
8 ounces of reduced fat shredded cheese; cheddar and Colby jack preferred
¼ tsp of salt
¼ tsp of black pepper
- Boil the macaroni in a large pot following the al dente instructions found on the pasta box. Usually about 8 minutes.
- While the pasta is boiling, in a medium-sized sauce pan, whisk the flour into the milk until there are no lumps. Then heat the pan on medium heat. Whisk occasionally to break up any lumps that form. Continue heating and whisking until the milk is thickened and no lumps are present, about 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- In a bowl, whisk the vegetable oil and egg together. Slowly, whisk the egg mixture into the pot with the thickened milk.
- Add the cheese to the saucepan and return to medium heat. Whisk the mixture as it heats. The cheese sauce is finished when it is smooth and creamy, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the macaroni. Keep the macaroni in the pot you boiled it in. Then stir the cheese sauce into the macaroni. Add the salt and pepper. Serve.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||299||11.4||285|