I got this idea from Paula Deen, of all people. Of course, this tomato grits recipe is modified. Add shrimp for a little extra flourish. Grits are a southern staple, but they can be fused with the food from other cultures. This recipe has a bit of Italian added. Try it with basil or oregano for even more Italian flavor.
Prep: 0 min | Cook: 45 min | Serves 6 | Level: Easy
Print this recipe
1 ½ cup of low fat milk
¼ tsp of salt
1 cup of 5 minute grits
¼ tsp of garlic powder
4 medium size tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1 cup of low sodium, cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 F
- In a large saucepan, combine water, milk, and salt and bring to a boil. Gradually add the grits and stir constantly for 1 minute.
- Reduce the heat to moderately low, cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add olive oil and garlic power, stir, then cover and cook until thick and creamy (about 4 minutes). Remove the pan from heat.
- Stir the tomatoes and ¾ of the cheese into the grits.
- Scrape the mixture into a lightly oiled 2-quart baking dish, cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top and continue baking, uncovered, until golden, about 10 minutes.
- Serve hot.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||236.0||9.4||243.7|