Prep: 15 min | Cook: 0 min | Serves 32 (1 tablespoon)| Level: Easy/Medium
Print this recipe
Real mayo is really simple to make. But if you make it by hand, it can be difficult on your rest. Thus the score of medium difficulty level for the by hand method. If you use a food processor, it is extremely easy. Real mayo is made with only good fats, so it is perfect for the Mediterranean Diet. Spice up you lunch with this recipe.
3 egg yolks
2 cups of oil (I use 1 cup of vegetable oil and 1 cup of olive oil)
2 ½ tbs of vinegar
¼ tsp of salt
¼ tsp black pepper to taste
2 tbs of boiling water
- Microwave a bowl of water for 2 minutes until hot. Place the egg yolks in a smaller container and sit the container in the hot water.
- Microwave the oil for about 30 seconds or until warm.
- Transfer egg yolks to a metal bowl. Beat for 1 minute or until thick. Beat in 1 tbs of vinegar, salt, and black pepper. Continue beating for another minute.
- Whisk 1 tsp of oil at a time into the egg mixture. Aim for whisking two strokes a second to keep your arm from tiring. Continue doing this until 2/3 cup of oil has been added to egg mixture. Do not stop to rest until this step has been completed.
- At this point you can take a brief break to let your arms rest. Next whisk in another 1/3 cup of oil. You can now add oil in 1 to 2 tbs dollops.
- Whisk in 1 ½ tbs of vinegar. This should thin it out.
- Whisk in the remaining oil in 1 to 2 tbs dollops.
- Whisk in 2 tbs of boiling water. Season with salt, black pepper, and any other seasonings you want.
Directions With Food Processor
- Add eggs to food processor. Process for 1 minute.
- With machine running, add salt, black pepper, and 1 tsp of vinegar.
- With machine still running, add oil in streams of droplets until half is used.
- Thin the mayo with vinegar.
- Add remaining oil in slightly faster stream.
- Season and serve.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||125||14||18|