Granola bars are a lot easier to make than you might think. They’re a great snack for the middle of the day. This is the type of recipe you can make with kids as a fun project.
Prep: 0 min | Cook: 45 min | Serves 16 | Level: Easy
Print this recipe
1 cup of almonds, walnuts, pecans, or mix of nuts
½ cup of brown sugar
2 tbs of water
¼ cup peanut butter
¼ tsp of salt
1 ½ tsp of vanilla
1 cup of pitted dates, apricots, cranberries (optional)
½ cup of wheat germ (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Butter an 8 by 12-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
- Toss the oatmeal and nuts together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ and dried fruit if desired.
- Bring the water and brown sugar to a boil on medium heat. Take the pot of heat and stir in peanut butter. Then stir in the salt and vanilla.
- Temper the beaten egg into the mixture (Slowly whisk about 3 spoons of brown sugar mixture into the egg. Then slowly pour, while stirring, the egg mixture into the brown sugar mixture).
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 F.
- Combine the brown sugar mixture with the oats and nuts.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown. Cut the bars. Then Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours. Serve at room temperature.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||152.3||5.9||45.4|
*Optional ingredients are not included in nutrition facts.