Of all of my modern takes on Southern dishes, this Chicken N Dumplings probably my favorite because it improves on tradition by using other traditional Southern techniques. It’s very simple to make so give it a shot!
Inactive Time: 7-9 hrs | Cook: 25 min | Serves 4 | Level: Easy
Print this recipe
1 lb of chicken breast, bone in, skin on
⅛ tsp of paprika
⅛ tsp of chili powder
⅛ tsp of cayenne
⅛ tsp of salt
⅛ tsp of black pepper
¾ cup of flour
⅛ tsp of salt
4 tbs of water
1 cup of low-fat milk
2 tbs of flour
1 tbs of margarine
½ cup of low-fat mozzarella cheese
pinch of salt
pinch of garlic powder
- Combine all of the seasonings together. Then rub the seasonings underneath the skin of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the slow cooker, and cook on low for 7-9 hours. Then remove the skin and shred the chicken.
- To make the dumplings: Combine the ¾ cup of flour, ⅛ tsp of salt, and 4 tbs of water together. Flour a working surface, then roll out the dumpling dough very thin. Cut into squares.
- Bring a medium sized saucepan to a boil and add the dumplings. Cook for 4-5 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
- To make the gravy: In a medium sized saucepan, melt the margarine on a medium low heat. Whisk in the flour for 2 minutes. Next add the milk, turn the stove to medium heat, and simmer until thickened. Add a pinch of salt, garlic powder, and mozzarella cheese to the gravy.
- Combine the ingredients in this order: Dumpling, shredded chicken, and then gravy.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||274.8||6.6||376.5|