What’s a Southern website with no mention of mashed potatoes? Not us that’s for sure. Try this easy, healthy mashed potatoes recipe. It is possible to have flavorful healthy mashed potatoes. Check out this healthy mashed potatoes recipe for a quick and easy side dish.
Prep: 10 min | Cook: 30 min | Serves 8 (1 cup) | Level: Easy
Print this recipe
½ tsp of salt
½ tsp of black pepper
1 cup of low-fat milk
5 cloves garlic, crushed
4 ounces low fat cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut each potato into 4 or 8 pieces.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat in a large pot and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling boil. Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork. This should take about 30 minutes.
- As the potatoes boil, start on the cream sauce: Heat margarine in a saucepan set to medium high. Then sauté the garlic in the pan until golden brown.
- When the garlic is golden brown, add the milk, salt and pepper to the pan and heat until simmering.
- By this point the potatoes should be about done cooking. Drain the potatoes of their water, then mash the potatoes using a potato masher or a coffee mug. Make sure to get out as many clumps as possible.
- Mix the cream sauce into the potatoes with a large spoon or a spatula. Then mix in the cheddar.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the potatoes to thicken.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||220||4.8||220|