Do you remember our major goals? One of them is to do 2 ½ hours of physical activity each week. This will help you burn about 700 calories per week. I know that this may seem like a lot of activity, but it’s very doable. You’ll be glad that you did!
The keys to being active are:
- To pick activities you LIKE
- Choose moderate kinds of activity, like brisk walking
- Work up to this goal slowly. Start by trying to do 1 hour of exercise a week. Add 30 minutes each week, until you build up to the 2 ½ hours.
- Spread the weekly total over 3 to 5 days per week.
How active are you right now? What activities did you do in the past? Why did you stop? Do you know how to be active?
These are important questions that you should ask yourself when trying to be more active. Seriously think about what you like about being active and what you like about being inactive. Think about what is stopping you from being active. And think about all of the great things you gain by being active. This could be spending more time with your family, living longer, having enough energy to leave the house, or anything else that you can think of.
One of the most important things to have is a good pair of shoes. The right pair of shoes go a long way towards making it easier for you to be active. If you don’t have a good pair of shoes, you should try make that investment. They don’t have to be super expensive. They just have to fit great and support your feet and ankles.
Now that you know the basics of being active, you have to learn how to stay active.
Three keys to staying active are to:
- Set aside one block of time every day to be active. Find a time that you can set aside 20 to 30 minutes each day.
- Look for free time (10 to 15 minutes) during the day. Use the time to be active.
- Make active choices like parking your car far away from your destination or walking up stairs.
- Turn inactive time into active time. Try cutting your TV time in half and walk instead. Or you can be active while you watch TV.
Prevent sore muscles or cramps
- Only increase a little at a time how often, how hard, and how long you’re active.
- Drink plenty of water before, during, and after being active.
- Wear socks that fit will, are comfortable, and keep your feet dry.
- Warm-up before and cool-down after every activity. A few minutes of stretching is included in this warm-up and cool-down.
Let’s go to Chapter 3: How to Eat Healthy!