Smoking leads to a variety of diseases and conditions. To be honest, if I listed them all you would get bored. I’ll stick to the big ones. Smoking leads to cancer, heart disease, hypertension, and kidney disease just to name a few. Quitting can be a challenge, but you will find that it is worth it. Your energy will increase by stopping. You will have less hospital visits. And you will look and feel healthier. Here are some tips to help you quit smoking today.
- Make lifestyle changes to reduce stress and control your weight. You can start an exercise program and eat healthier. Don’t forget to enlist the help of friends, family, or a support group. Having support will go a long way towards helping you maintain these lifestyle changes.
- Make a plan to help you quit smoking. Talk with a physician to learn how to manage symptoms of withdrawal. Your physician can prescribe you medication to cope with these symptoms as well.
- Seek out places and people that support your choices. Go to places where people can’t smoke. You can even plan social events, so you control the location. If someone you know smokes, make the decision to avoid them when they are smoking to avoid temptation.
- Find help to quit smoking. Friends and family can be your support. But there are other support options as well. Call a Quitline to speak with a trained professional or try an online program. Call this National Cancer Institute number for free coaching to stop smoking, 1-877-448-7848. Go to becomeanex.org for online resources to quit sponsored by the National Alliance for Tobacco Cessation.
- Call or go to the website of your insurance company or benefit plan to learn if they will help cover the cost of quitting. They might be able to pay for nicotine patches or medication that will help you quit.
- If you don’t have insurance or a benefit plan, sign up for a $4 Prescription Program. Walmart and target both have these options. They allow you to buy a 30 day supply of approved generic medicine for $4.
I hope you’ve gotten some ideas for how to quit smoking. Check out the final chapter. Chapter 11: Stay Motivated To Be Healthy!