What’s a Southern website with no mention of creamy mashed potatoes? Not us that’s for sure. Try this easy, healthy mashed potatoes recipe. It is possible to have healthy mashed potatoes with a ton of flavor. Check out this healthy mashed potatoes recipe for a quick and easy side dish.
Prep: 10 min | Cook: 30 min | Serves 8 (1 cup) | Level: Easy
Print this recipe
1 tsp of salt
½ tsp of black pepper
1 1/2 cup of low-fat milk
5 cloves garlic, crushed
4 ounces low fat cheddar cheese
- Peel and cut each potato into 4 to 8 pieces.
- Bring the potatoes to a boil over medium-high heat in a large pot and then reduce heat to maintain a rolling boil. Cook until potatoes fall apart when poked with a fork. This should take about 30 minutes.
- As the potatoes boil, start on the cream sauce: Heat margarine in a saucepan set to medium high. Then sauté the garlic in the pan until golden brown.
- When the garlic is golden brown, add the milk, salt, pepper, and cheese to the pan and heat until simmering.
- By this point the potatoes should be about done cooking. Drain the potatoes of their water, then mash the potatoes using a potato masher or a coffee mug. Make sure to get out as many clumps as possible.
- Mix the cream sauce into the potatoes with a large spoon or a spatula. Then mash the rest of the lumps out of the mashed potatoes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the potatoes to thicken. Then serve your creamy mashed potatoes.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||225||5.0||360|