Prep: 0 min | Cook: 10 min | Serves 5 (1/2 cup servings)| Level: Easy
Print this recipe
As promised, we’re bringing Southern desserts to the Mediterranean Diet. This is the second in our collection. It’s a smooth, creamy banana pudding recipe. The cream and butter have been substituted for oil that is good for you. Give it a shot!
2 cups of lowfat milk
1 whole egg
2 tbs of cornstarch
1/3 cup of sugar
1 tbs of vegetable oil
Pinch of salt
1 tsp of vanilla extract
- Pour the milk into a medium sized pot. Scald the milk by heating the milk on medium heat until it simmers.
- Meanwhile, whisk the egg, cornstarch, sugar, vegetable oil, and salt.
- Slowly, whisk one-fourth of the scalding milk into the egg mixture. Then slowly stir the egg-milk mixture back into the pot.
- Place the pot over medium heat and cook, whisking continuously, until the pudding begins to thicken, about 5 to 6 minutes. Check that the pudding is done by seeing if it coats the back of a spoon. Then use your finger to draw a line through the pudding on the spoon. If the line remains on the spoon, then the pudding is done.
- Strain the pudding through a mesh strainer. Then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Let cool in refrigerator for at least 2 hours. To prevent skin from forming, lightly press a piece of plastic wrap on top of the pudding.
- Add ½ cup of pudding to a glass or bowl. Then layer bananas over the top.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||165||4.8||756|