This is a recipe that took a bit of trial and error to get right. These are the closest things to fried hush puppies that you can get. Baked hush puppies omits the oils that you get from fried hush puppies.
Prep: 5 min | Cook: 8 min | Serves 6 | Level: Easy
Print this recipe
2/3 cup of whole wheat all-purpose flour
2 tsp of baking powder
½ tsp of black pepper
¼ tsp of salt
1/8 tsp of cayenne
¼tsp of paprika
⅛ tsp of garlic powder
1 small onion, chopped
¼ cup of buttermilk (or 1% milk + lemon juice/vinegar)
6 tbs of vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Combine all of the dry ingredients, seasonings, and onions.
- Combine all of the wet ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients. (Dough should be slightly sticky and wet, but still hold its shape. If it’s too wet add a tablespoon of flour and mix. Continue doing this until the dough holds its shape. If too dry, add 1 tsp of water and mix. Continue adding water like this until the dough is a little sticky.)
- Scoop dough onto pan using teaspoons.
- Bake for 8 minutes or until done.
|Calories||Fat (G)||Sodium (MG)|
|Amount Per Serving||250||15.3||245|